Objective-C code running on Android

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Objective-C code running on Android
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:03:31 +0200

I've experimented with running Objective-C on Android. This is possible thanks to great work of someone who adjusted Apple's GCC 4.2.1 to target Android. Their code is available on Google Code:
  http://code.google.com/p/android-gcc-objc2-0/

If someone is interested in the PDF on how to set this up, it's available here:
  http://blog.vucica.net/2011/06/developing-objective-c-apps-for-android-using-mac-os-x.html
or directly, the PDF and sample project tarball:
  http://ivan.vucica.net/public/android-objc/Android%20Obj-C.pdf
  http://ivan.vucica.net/public/android-objc/android-objc-test.tar.gz

I've tried to introduce the Android SDK and NDK, and then I tried to explain how to set up the Objective-C compiler. Since I myself don't particularly like Java or Android, I tried to do all this as gently as possible.

I've targeted Mac OS X because the authors of the aforementioned compiler prepared binaries only for OS X, and I don't have the resources (hard disk space, time, ..) to recompile GCC multiple times until I succeed.  However, the text should mostly apply to GNU/Linux, BSDs, etc.

Is there any interest in getting at least GNUstep's Foundation to run on Android? Or was this already done, and I'm just dumb for not knowing this?

I'd love to hear your comments, especially about things where I made mistakes. And there must be at least some mistakes in there, since I haven't studied Java and I don't particularly like it, and I have very little knowledge about actual internals of Objective-C runtime or the compiler.
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net