Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 00:06:19 +0200

Hi,
ObjC2 adds a few good features, but it adds a lot of fairly useless complexity
to a simple language and makes it much harder to learn.  In particular the
blocks syntax is rather ugly and doesn't fit well belonging more to a
functional programming paradigm than an object oriented programming paradigm,
so that adds considerable complexity, and the dot syntax for property access
encourages writing of inefficient code (which is probably the last thing you
want to encourage in a novice).
I can't agree more.
So your initial impression that ObjC 2 is not needed for novices is not just
correct, it's IMO the case that ObjC 2 is best avoided for a novice.

:)
It would make sense to provide a traditional system as default, with an
alternative build for people who want to play with the new toys in development.
Well, providing gcc 4,6 and an optional clang should it anybody's need, doesn't it?

In any case, the VM release is a first version. I hope the success will encourage Richard to work on a new release which will follow updates in the SuSE packages. I'll help him of course again, although I hope he will discover less bugs :)

Riccardo