Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:43:24 +0200

Hi,
What I'm leaning towards, if it turns out to be practicable, is using
GCC 4.6 for the GNUstep library builds but including clang for
developers' use. That is assuming there's no incompatibility between
GCC-compiled GNUstep libraries and clang-compiled applications. But
that's not necessarily my last word!

I think this is quite sensible for the time being. I take care that all software works on GCC because I still think we are a stand-alone environment, not just some tool to port Mac stuff at convenience.

However, supporting another compiler is good and so I take care that my apps compile with clang. The static analyzer is quite handy too.

This whole thread that came out isn't what one would wish after releasing a new thing (by repeating that the hard work is by Richard).
But this is the typical GNUstep community. Hurrah.

Perhaps there is a reason why we do not attract many developers... and it is not just some feature parity or pixel alignment problems in icons.

Cool.

Riccardo