Re: Core Data

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Core Data
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 20:34:26 +0200

On 29. svi. 2011., at 20:13, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Well, as far as I remember from the "rescue" activities, it is (was) almost
> complete. I.e. "to be some work" is not correctly describing the situation.

Yes, I have found a more recent source code in a CVS repository on Savannah.
Apparently, the situation is better than described on the web site I linked to.

> Unfortunately there aren't enough volunteers to continue the work on it and
> bring it back to life.
>
> So let me write a CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS:
>
> * needs some expertise in using Core Data
> * be interested in maintaining Core Data for GNUstep
> * help to find out what is missing
> * what has changed in Apple-Core Data-API in the past three years

Unfortunately I'm still just learning how Core Data works and how to properly
use it, so I cannot be of any help here.

> On 29. svi. 2011., at 19:59, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
>> Indeed it's not even implemented.  What's there is a placeholder.
>>
>> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Gregory Casamento
>> <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> gscoredata was moved to dev-libs some time ago... I will look into
>>> getting rid of the implementation of NSManagedObjectContext in
>>> gnustep-gui.
>>>
>>> GC

NSManagedObjectContext in GNUstep GUI did not look to me as if it's related at
all to Core Data. Citing description from the file itself:

   <abstract>
   This class is the context object for the controller classes.
   It contains information which is used by those classes to maintain
   the internal state.
   </abstract>

Sounds like it had something to do with an implementation of Cocoa Bindings?
Perhaps with interaction between Cocoa Bindings and Core Data?  It is
apparently used only in NSObjectController.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net - http://ivan.vucica.net/