Some general questions

From: Austin Clow
Subject: Some general questions
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:21:40 -0500

Hello,

I am currently working on a new IDE for Mac OS X, and have become very
interested in GNUstep over the last year or so. I have been exploring its
capabilities and see that there is a lot to be done. I am very interested in
porting my IDE to GNUstep and also making it possible to produce GNUstep apps
and frameworks from my IDE.

I have read and re-read the GNUstep wiki  for what seems like a billion times,
but there are some questions that I still have. I'll list them here as general
statements and I hope that someone can comment on them more.

1) Products that use GNUstep libraries can still be sold?

2) The objlib2 runtime is the GNUstep runtime that incorporates the 'old
GNUstep' runtime with Étoilé's ObjectiveC2 extension. Which makes it compatible
with Apple's Runtime in specification only, but not implementation. Ergo, they
are not binary compatible.

        Questions: What is the easiest way to compile a GNUstep program in
Xcode. Regardless of it being able to run on Mac OS X. (I want a GNUstep binary
produced). I don't want to use Make. Really what I am asking is what is the
procedure (in the terminal) to create a GNUstep binary in Mac OS X.

3) What are the acceptable locations for GNUstep frameworks to be stored? I
read the article about how frameworks are done a little differently in GNUstep,
but can frameworks still be placed in the .app/Frameworks/
.app/Contents/Frameworks directory?

4) On the wiki page ObjC_FAQ it says "GNUstep has supported garbage collection
via the Boehm GC for some years. Efforts are underway to bring this to closer
compatibility with Apple's new implementation."

        Questions: How far along has the work come to make GNUstep have
Apple-eqsue Garbage Collection. My IDE relies on it heavily.

Number 2 is my most important question. Because it will give me the insight I
need to start implementing GNUstep app creation.