Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:43:36 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 16:58, Zhang Weiwu, Beijing <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
You are right these are strange applications, I verified by doing a google search and count number of results. But I do not intend do a selection for allegation, I do it the way many users normally do, that is to browse the repository and see which one's description or name interests me. Slideshow is a very obvious name calling for attention compare to LaternaMagica, a +5 on marketing.

Sounds to me like we need a GNUstep-centric end-user oriented app browser… something like a GNUstep Software Index, but perhaps a more graphical, desktop app with a single-click fetch-source-configure-make-makeinstall? For any platform? :-)

Maybe even a New And Improved Name™. Something like… GNUstep App Store. Or maybe not :-)

Nah, I'm just kidding. It would be excellent if someone were to dig into it; current distribution-specific repositories are great for other software, but GNUstep software is under-maintained. Except maybe on, from what everyone keeps saying, FreeBSD. :-)

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net