Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Zhang Weiwu, Beijing
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:58:13 +0800

On 04/21/2011 06:00 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

I don't know this application, you might want to try other image display programs. Perhaps LaternaMagica from GAP suits your need, at least I know it works on current GNUstep because I'm its maintainer.

Just tried. Works perfect:)

This allegation is general and based on a quite strange sampling of applications.

You are right these are strange applications, I verified by doing a google search and count number of results. But I do not intend do a selection for allegation, I do it the way many users normally do, that is to browse the repository and see which one's description or name interests me. Slideshow is a very obvious name calling for attention compare to LaternaMagica, a +5 on marketing.

In my case I browsed the FreeBSD port collection. Ubuntu for this very reason in their repository browser (default one in the "Application" menu) hid applications that they think not user friendly or not stable, in order to avoid 'allegation'. It's to note that a responsible reporter or judger or people with spirit of science has to do analysis and collect proof, but users are allowed to say what they feel by trying. They could be very wrong about what they feel, but setting a rule to not allow allegation is to not to allow "easy" expression of feeling due to the difficulty to collect evidence. This ridged logical rule, is another end of extreme causing usability problems and usability ignorances. Let me demonstrate this a bit more in detail: when we migrate offices from Windows to Linux, which is one of our business, we have a measurement of user's relationship to the new system, it went through curiosity, excitement, confusion, dislike, and develop either to hatred or to a new state of satisifaction. At each stage different IT action has to be taken, and a good understanding of these stages is key to acceptance of new system. The biggest mistake is disallowing them to express their biased understanding, first because it positions people, "we are IT people, you are users", when we could have been a team toward a goal, and second it encourages users to communicate with users instead of with IT team, doubling dis-satisfaction because usually another user lack skill to solve one user's problem. Same way, if you want user to accept a system, allow them to say "your system doesn't display the web correctly" when the web is made incorrectly for IE. It's all about experience. Yes now I learned that what failed me are not gnustep.org responsibility, but given the opportunity, you failed to learn user experience. (what to learn, read next paragraph).

In a rather foreign view than that of typical developers, the availability of bad application for users to make allegation is a fault in brand building (otherwise the user would start from famous brands like GAP or Etoile instead of discovering starting from GNUSTEP, the same way users tends to with Ubuntu instead of bullshitting gtk list), in expectation management (yes, call it bullshit, there do exist such a thing) or in general user experience management (no emphasize on most used features / programs but treat everything the same). I just point out the faults, I don't mean allegation that this is gnustep.org's responsibility to correct. Faults are knowledge to be learned. As professional tone as we managed to reach so far, this is related to gnustep and thus allow to discuss.

You can also say this is a developer list thus it's reasonable not allowing users to allegation due to their bad feeling and bad luck, only truth with proof is o.k. But then you wouldn't worry users reading this message and turn away from gnustep, a real developer wouldn't take my FUD seriously.

Best.

--
我的博客:
http://zhangweiwu.ixiezi.com/