Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:41:54 +0100

On 21.03.2011 20:23, Csanyi Pal wrote:
Richard Frith-Macdonald<richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk>  writes:

On 19 Mar 2011, at 16:39, Csanyi Pal wrote:

Fred Kiefer<fredkiefer@gmx.de>  writes:

On 18.03.2011 22:41, Csanyi Pal wrote:
Hi,

I just compiled GNUstep from SVN on Debian Squeeze: make, base but when
try to install gui get errors:

http://pastebin.com/SYWKJbAn

How can I solve this problem?

Although this happened when compiling gui it is actually a base issue. :-)
It was just for cases like this that I convinced Richard to move the
test framework into the specific modules. If you try to run the tests
in base, you will notice that the same problem shows up.

base/headers/ObjCXX.mm:
Failed build:

base/NSObject/objc++.mm:
Failed build:

I'm guessing these failed because you don't have an Objective-C++
compiler on your system ... I've modified the test framework to
(hopefully) refrain from testing Objective-C++ stuff if there's no
compiler.

After I installed gobjc++-4.4 package on my Debian Squeeze system, I
configured and builded gnustep make again.

After this I try to compile again gui but get the error:
Linking tool make_services ...
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzdirect@ZLIB_1.2.2.3'
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so: undefined
reference to `gzseek64'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

 From the error message I would guess that libxml2 requires the zlib,
but GNUstep base wasn't linked against that.

This sounds like a problem in your libxml2 and/or its package
dependencies ... if it uses the zlib stuff then the packaging system
should have ensured that the zlib package was already present.

One thing you can try is to make sure you have the zlib-devel package
installed, then configure and build gnustep-base again

I have installed follows:

$ aptitude show libxml2
Package: libxml2
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.7.8.dfsg-2
Section: libs
Maintainer: Debian XML/SGML Group
<debian-xml-sgml-pkgs@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 1745 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg)

$ aptitude show zlib1g
Package: zlib1g
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3
Section: libs
Maintainer: Mark Brown<broonie@debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 176 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5)

I configured and builded base again and run 'make check' with results:
5543 Passed tests
   11 Dashed hopes
   10 Skipped sets
    4 Failed builds
    1 Failed test

After that I try to configure and build and install gui but still get
errors:

Making all in Tools ...
Making all for tool make_services...
  Linking tool make_services ...
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzdirect@ZLIB_1.2.2.3'
/usr/local/lib/libgnustep-base.so: undefined reference to `gzseek64'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [obj/make_services] Error 1
make[3]: *** [internal-tool-all_] Error 2
make[2]: *** [make_services.all.tool.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2

Any advices to go further?

No new advise, but I would like to reiterate Richards comment to check for the developer package of zlib1g. You only listed the normal packages both for libxml2 and zlib1g. To compile GNUstep base with full features you will also need the corresponding development packages which contain the headers and the link stubs for the libraries. The next thing you should check is to run ldd on the GNUstep base library. In my case the command is:
ldd /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so

Please report back the results. If zlib doesn't show up in that list we need to find out why. For this we will need the configure log file for base.