Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GUI API reference for gnuStep
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:14:24 +0700

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>>

>> Speaking of new user, I saw someone asking if WMaker was still
>> recommended, I think we should not advertise the dead Window Maker project
>> in the front page to anyone but some old farts. Please replace SS with a
>> GNOME themed one which could even enabled by default if GNOME environment
>> was detected, declared it as current goal or something. Work best or not,
>> WMaker SS shoud be eliminated from the front page immediatly.
>>
>> Feel no sorry for bragging again and again on this, and will never give
>> up.
>>

> Banlu, I estimate your developer skills, however sometimes I think you
> should count up to 10 before replying to an email and then counting up to 10
> before hitting send.

No, why would I waste time counting when I'd probably click send anyway?

> WindowMaker is not dead, it works very well even on the most modern Linux
> and BSD distributions without a hiccup. Be it Debian, Gentoo, SuSE or
> FreeBSD or NetBSD in their latest versions: WindowMaker works smoothly.

My point was made, we don't need to attract old people. It waste time
and effort of people who want to contribute GNUstep to be the
development platform for the future, rather to satisfy some people's
needs for their memento of good old days. Who care NeXTperience ? Why
don't GNUstep clone NeXT instead of Cocoa now?

> WindowMaker is currently the most apt windowmanager to give you a complete
> NeXT-like experience, it is very light and works fine. Actually, it is even
> advisable to disable some features of WindowMaker if you want to use the
> GNUstep corresponding ones.

Don't waste your time with me. We doubt we will agree on any point.