Re: Accessibility for users with disabilities

From: Matt Campbell
Subject: Re: Accessibility for users with disabilities
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:22:13 -0500

I personally know one blind programmer who is currently a university student, but he doesn't seem interested in GNUstep, though he might be if it was accessible to blind users and was compatible with PyObjC. More importantly, he doesn't know Cocoa or Objective-C. Still, he might be able to help me find an interested student who does have the needed skills.

It might be easier to raise interest among the blind community if we knew of a GNUstep-based application that is used by some major university or must be used by employees in some major organization or government agency. It may be significant that Sony is using GNUstep in its SNAP platform. Of course, Sony will have to do significant work to make SNAP-based devices accessible to blind users, but GNUstep could at least provide some of the infrastructure. I wonder what the most widely-used GNUstep-based application is. That's probably a hard thing to determine.

The problem is that, as the GNUstep team is no doubt painfully aware, GNUstep is by no means the most popular cross-platform GUI toolkit; that would probably be a tie between wxWidgets and Qt (and maybe GTK). And of course, web apps and mobile apps are drawing much more attention than desktop apps these days. Still, GNUstep is at least a useful tool for porting Mac-native apps to other platforms. And when such apps are ported to other platforms using GNUstep, as I know they sometimes are, they should be accessible to all users, including users with disabilities. I just hope we can find someone who has time to work on this.

Matt