Re: Global Defaults (Re: Associating bundle directories with app)

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: Global Defaults (Re: Associating bundle directories with app)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:05:58 -0600

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:
On 21 Jan 2011, at 12:51, David Chisnall wrote:
> I can't remember if this has been asked before, but is this a single file, or can we scan a directory for plists providing global defaults?  For packagers, the latter is a lot more useful - they can then add and remove defaults trivially.  For example, when you install a theme bundle, you can set it as the global theme, when you uninstall the theme, you unset this default.

Nice suggestion ... I added it.
So now we have a GlobalDefaults subdirectory into which packagers can place .plist files ... and have have all those files merged into the GSConfigDomain of the defaults system.
But we still keep GlobalDefaults.plist and merge that into the defaults system after the files in the subdirectory, so this can continue to be used for general system settings while the subdirectory can be used for package specific settings.

I have a question on this, just out of curiosity...  What happens if two different plist files in the GlobalDefault subdir assign a value to the same default?  Which one is going to be taken?

The example David gave is nice in theory, but what happens if two or more different theme bundles want to be the default?

Stef