Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 01:01:48 +0700

2011/1/8 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>:

> I don't know that it was locked and I have write access for a long time.
> As far as I know there simply weren't enough people who were interested
> in editing the existing wiki. Therefore, there also weren't enough for
> cleaning a completely open wiki from spam.

Actually, bannered wiki services like Wikia (I just dont know others)
have people to aggressively clean up all spams for you. Since they are
maintaining a lot of wiki sites, they have a lot more power to deal
with spam. I've built site like th.blender.wikia.com and there was
zero spam left from their cleaning process, even the site is barely
maintained by me.

> IMHO it is not something political, is just a critical mass issue. If a
> community is over
> some critical mass, you can run the Wiki openly and find people to clean it.
> If not, you have to restrict access by a registration process or the work
> already
> invested will be lost.

Since there actually were choices I mentioned above, I thought this is
kinda political to me.
But the cost of of banner removed should be lower than hosting? I don't know.

> In the last years the GNUstep community was small and only did grow in the
> past two years.
>
> Maybe, you could come to FOSDEM and lead a discussion how to improve
> the structure and useage of the GNUstep wiki in the devroom?
>
> Nikolaus

The cost would be like 4 months budgets w/o paying for anything else
and I just can't leave the works here I must do for living. :) But may
be one day.

--
    .----.     Banlu Kemiyatorn
  \/      \/   http://groundzerostudiocomplex.blogspot.com (Studio Research)