RE: Using GCC 4.5 on GNUStep

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Using GCC 4.5 on GNUStep
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:52:29 +0100 (CET)

You probably mean GCC 4.6 :-)

All the new Objective-C enhancements will be in GCC 4.6, which hasn't been
released yet.  Because it's not even been released yet, there aren't any smooth,
ready-to-use packages or instructions for using it on Windows (yet).  Windows
is a difficult platform (for software originating in the Unix world).

So I'd suggest you wait a few months for it to be released.

If you don't want to wait, you could obviously try compiling (or
cross-compiling)
GCC 4.6 yourself on MinGW, and/or use some third-party binary package if you
are able to
find one, but both these approaches will most likely require you to fix or hack
things at one point or another.  As I said, there isn't an easy, ready-to-go
set of instructions for using Objective-C with GCC 4.6 on Windows yet.

A relatively easy alternative (certainly easier than the above) may be to use
a different, "easier" platform (eg, install some popular variant of Linux in
a virtual machine ?) and then it should be much easier to find a working GCC 4.6
snapshot (or even compiling from sources) to play with (inside your Linux
virtual machine).

But if you're wanting to use @properties etc. in production code with GCC on
Windows,
basically you'll have to wait six months or so for GCC 4.6 to be released and
for the
release filtering down the distribution chain etc. until it just appears in
MinGW
as the official compiler and you can use it out-of-the-box. :-)

Thanks a lot for your interest.