Re: FOSDEM 2011 Devroom for World of GNUstep accepted

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2011 Devroom for World of GNUstep accepted
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:22:34 +0100

On 25 Oct 2010, at 23:51, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

> Rejoice, we got our FOSDEM-devroom! Now we can start planning sessions.

Great news, thanks for sorting this out.  I've not had a reply to my proposal
for a main-track talk, so I presume that means it's not been accepted.  I'm
still happy to do some talking in the devroom (although maybe not quite as many
as last year).  There are probably more things that I can talk about than I
have time for so, as with last year, I'll suggest a load of approximate topics
and other people can decide which, if any, are interesting:

- Clang and libobjc2.  Getting better performance from Objective-C, supporting
ObjC2, IDE integration[1], and building ObjC tools with the clang APIs.

- LanguageKit - supporting Smalltalk and JavaScript dialects on the Objective-C
runtime - what's hard, what's easy, and why developers and users should care.
Maybe talk briefly about ScriptKit too.

- Étoilé - what's happened since last year (maybe Quentin could give a talk
along these lines instead, or maybe we could do a joint one again).

- Opal - I don't think Eric will be able to make it, but I could talk a bit
about the state of CoreGraphics / CoreText in GNUstep.

- EtoileText.  The ePub version of my next book (Objective-C 2 Phrasebook) is
being generated from TeX source files using this framework (and SourceCodeKit
for syntax highlighting in the examples).

- Anything else that I know about but have forgotten to list...

I'd also like to repeat my suggestion that we be organised a bit earlier this
year and get a group booking at a hotel and plan to arrive a day or two early
for some pre-FOSDEM hacking / discussion.

David

[1] See http://etoileos.com/news/archive/2010/10/15/1401/ and
http://theravensnest.org/error.png for some shiny things using clang from
GNUstep.