Re: getting gnustep to work

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: getting gnustep to work
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:41:08 +0200

Hi,
Finally got the Windows version working. As suggested, I used the Msys shell
- but this time when trying to source the file, i used ".
GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" instead of ".
Users/myname/GNUstep/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh"". I had
not allowed for the way the shell maps the directories. Gnustep is actually
installed to "c:/Users/myname/GNUstep" but apparently the shell knows this
is the root so it should not be entered. I had not realised that. The
GNUstep.sh file is actually in
"c:\users\myname\GNUstep\GNUstep\System\Library\Makefiles" directory.

Nice that you got it working, but it shouldn't be necessary. If you use the supplied msys shell, the profile is automatically set up for you to source GNUstep.sh

I installed GNustep on windows on several machines, it always worked.

Essentially, the windows install will give you a "ready" environment, but without applications. Paths are set up and GNUstep.sh is sourced.

To build an application, for example PRICE, which contains source a makefile and doesn't need configuration it is as simple as:

1) unpack
2) make install
3) openapp PRICE.app

if it did not work for you that way, something went wrong or you are doing something wrong.

Riccardo