Re: Problem building base with libobjc2

From: Truls Becken
Subject: Re: Problem building base with libobjc2
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:30:36 +0200

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:16, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Am 04.07.2010 08:43, schrieb Niels Grewe:
>> David removed a pile of legacy headers from libobjc2 last week. And
>> since there is no thr.h in libobjc2 anymore, base is picking up the
>> header from gcc's libobjc and gets a bit confused. There is a bit of
>> refactoring to be done to get libobjc2 and gnustep-base in sync again.
>> E.g. all includes of objc.h need to be changed to runtime.h. That will
>> probably also break a lot a of legacy stuff like the old NeXTStep typed
>> streams. I'm well willing to help with that, after GSoC that is, because
>> I'm rather busy with DBusKit at the moment…
>
> To me it looks like the whole block here is a left over.
> ‘objc_thread_add’ is inlined and never gets used in this file, so why
> not remove it altogether? If this is true, we should also remove the
> configure check for this function. Could somebody using libobjc2 please
> test this?

Yes, I noticed the same today and got it to build by declaring
HAVE_OBJC_THREAD_ADD. Everything then builds and GWorkspace seems to
be functional.

> But you seem to have another problem here as well. While you are using
> libobjc2 the compiler still includes a header file from the gcc objc
> implementation. I think that is what Niels is talking about.

Yes, this needs to be cleaned up as well. It is very fragile to depend
on those old headers for the new implementation.

The first thing I tried after Niels' response, was to symlink objc.h
-> runtime.h. The configure script for base then complains that gcc
does not produce working binaries, so it's not as simple as changing
those includes at least.

-Truls