Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:22:24 -0400

The 'x' and 'v' are visual metaphors, reinforced by their proximity to the 'c'
(copy) equivalent.

Command-x  ==> 'Cut'  ==> Looks like a pair of scissors.
Command-c  ==> 'Copy'  ==> Abbreviation for (C)opy.
Command-v  ==> 'Paste'  ==> Looks like the typesetter/editor's symbol for
'insert here'.

others:

Command-w ==> Close (W)indow

The Command-z came along much later, along with Undo, and I can't justify it.
The others I remember reading explanations of long ago.  The title that comes
to mind is "The Macintosh is not a Typewriter!", but that may not be the right
book.

It is worthwhile to read the Wikipedia article related to this subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_shortcut .  Note that one of the two
images used to illustrate the concept is a screenshot of WorldWideWeb.app
running on NeXTStep :-D .  Note that they plainly state that "shortcuts" are
not localized, but "mnemonics" are.

Honestly, I still prefer mnemonics/accelerators to key-equivalents/shortcuts.
The most productive menuing systems I ever used were the Lotus-style menus in
the old Borland products.  Just hit [F10] (menu), and start typing
accelerators.  Effectively, *everything* was quickly navigable from the
keyboard, whether a shortcut was defined or not.  Even if an accelerator was
missing for a menu entry, you could get there quickly with the arrow keys.  It
is amazing how fast those sequences became muscle memory, and allowing
sequences of characters means a much greater "namespace" for keyboard menu
access inside an application.  Contrast that to even the best thought-out Mac
application, where 4 or 5-key "chords" are often necessary to get adequate
shortcut coverage in any decently-sized application.

--Robert