Re: NSDecimalSeparator

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: NSDecimalSeparator
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:09:03 +0200

Hi Fred,

I have set up a new system (Solaris/GNustep). Users want numbers to be formated with , for the decimal separator and I again have no clue how
and where to set that. I have followed the trace up to

     NSScanner::locale
      loc = [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
dictionaryRepresentation];

loc containing a corresponding value for the key NSDecimalSeparator. I
have just not found out how this is deternimed and set? Which unix
environment variables is GNUstep bas echecking to set a default for
this key?

Found it, at least a solution I can live with.

    defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSDecimalSeparator ","

On systems that have locale.h installed we use localeconv() to get this
information. Please see GSLocale.m for details.

  lconv = localeconv();
  if (lconv->decimal_point)
    {
[dict setObject: [NSString stringWithUTF8String: lconv->decimal_point]
               forKey: NSDecimalSeparator];
    }

   man localeconv()

Thanks a lot! Still trying to find the required setting for /etc/profile or whatever config file on Solaris to set this system wide. I had this running on one machine but I had to reinstall the box and haven't documented this configuration detail! :-(

Anyone with Solaris/GNustep experience?

Thanks,

 Andreas