Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:35:32 -0600

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, "Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA" <slivnik@tomaz.name> wrote:
What is the best/quickest/easiest/smoothest way to get a cutting edge GnuStep distribution running on my machine?

I have Debian 5.0.3 running in a virtual machine with all the GnuStep packages installed but they seem rather old. Does it matter if I manually build my own GnuStep installation on top of this? I'm guessing doing so will interfere with the Debian package management system and break things down the line.

Installing GNUstep from source is really easy, but you're right here, if you install the Debian packages and from source you'll have conflicts (this is true for any package, though).  There's been some chatter recently about a new release, so if you want the latest and greatest it might be a good idea to wait for the new release or build from SVN.  On the GNUstep homepage you'll see a link to "Startup" 0.23.0, this is an easy package that will install all the GNUstep base libraries.  From there you only have to build the applicatons (most are as easy as "make install", no configure scripts).

Are there more current pre-built packages for another platform I can easily install in a VM?

I have some Slacware build script up on www.slackbuilds.org, but these scripts are for 12.2.  When 13.0 was released I didn't have a box with Slackware installed to update those packages.  And now that I do, I'm waiting for the next release to update the scripts.  If you want to wait until then, I plan on getting it together soon after the core libraries are released to update the scripts.  These scripts generate a package for installation, and makes it easy to upgrade and manage packages.

Does GnuStep run on MINIX (or, as I am guessing, there is the same issue of no support for threads and shared memory which break Gnome and KDE running there)?

I'd guess GNUstep would have the same problems, but you might still want to check!  One of the developers here has built it on GNU/Hurd and neither Gnome nor KDE run on Hurd.  I'm really not sure of the technical issues, though.