Re: GNUstep app won't start

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep app won't start
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:35:23 +0100

Am 22.01.2010 01:27, schrieb Andreas Höschler:
> I have gcc 3.4.4 and my GNustep tree on my development machine. For
> deployment to production machines I usually just sync /opt/GNUstep to
> the target machine. Since I usually have the same gcc and libs on all
> machines this always worked great.
>
> I now had to setup a Solaris machine that had a newer version of gcc
> installed. I over installed gcc 3.4.4 and eben rebuild gui and back on
> the target machine. I then synced the /opt/GNUstep folder as usual. I
> can start tools but when I start any GNUstep app I get
>
>     Error (objc-load):ld.so.1: Affiche: fatal: libXcomposite.so.1: open
> failed: No such file or directory
>
> I did a
>
>     find / -name "libXcomposite*"
>
> on both machines and found nothing, neitehr on the dev machien nor on
> the target machine. I never installed a lib libXcomposite manually so it
> must be part of any package but which?
>
> Any idea what could be the problem (incompatibility) here? What do I
> have to (re)install on the target machine to solve this?

On the machine you compile the code and where this library is present a
call to

pkgchk -l -p <path>/libXcomposite.so.1

should report you where this file came from.
But you claim that this file isn't present on your development machine.
This make the problem a bit harder. Did you recompile Affiche on this
machine or copy it over from somewhere else?

What you can do is run ldd against Affiche:
ldd Affiche.app/Affiche

This will report all the libraries this executable has been linked against.

The libXcomposite is part of the composite manager for X11, this isn't
used directly in GNUstep. It either may be used by Affiche or by a theme
you are using.