Re: GNUstep.sh with graphical login

From: James Jordan
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh with graphical login
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:21:26 +0100

Nicola,

You are a Gentleman and a scholar!  I have it working, here is what I
ended up doing.

1: Added these 3 lines to my ~/.xsessionrc
#really ugly way to get GNUstep working
export PATH="/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools:$PATH"
export GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles
2: created the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GNUstep1.conf
containing: /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries
3: created the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GNUstep2.conf
containing: /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
4: ran sudo ldconfig
5: rebooted and logged in

Everything appears to be working!  I am happy.

Your recommendation to use the configure command line switch to change
install paths is a great idea but I would forget it half the time when
I build something, of course most GNUstep apps don't use a config
file.

I am also very happy that I figured out what Ubuntu is doing (probably
Debian in general) they are installing everything to /usr/lib/GNUstep
and dropping symlinks into /usr/bin so they don't need GNUstep.sh

Thanks for the help, that was really my goal, not only to get it
working but to understand what was going on.

If you are anywhere near Naples, Italy I will gladly buy you a beer.

-j