Re: So fast things can change - we got a FOSDEM devroom now! (was: Fwd:

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: So fast things can change - we got a FOSDEM devroom now! (was: Fwd: FOSDEM devroom request (GNUstep))
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 00:49:49 +0100

Hi David,

I've added your proposals to http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ FOSDEM_2010#List_of_submitted_talk_proposals

Am 04.12.2009 um 15:30 schrieb David Chisnall:

On 2 Dec 2009, at 00:36, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

Great! all those are very interesting topics (for me at least but I guess for others too).

Well, probably other people get to speak too...

I already have prepared the talks schedule at our wiki: http:// wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2010#Dev- Room_Presentations_and_Events . Currently I am a little bit unsure if we first should collect all talk offers and then start scheduling or if we start scheduling right away on a first come first serve practice. I tend to collecting first and then selecting and scheduling given the limited time (just one day or eight hours) we have at our disposal.

Can I have an afternoon slot? I might be awake in the morning, but I won't be coherent...

when does afternoon start for you? ;-)

I this will be posible of course but I can't give you final times as of now.

What sort of duration were you thinking for talks? I would imagine people will want to be dropping in and out a lot, so long talks probably won't work. Maybe 15 minutes + 5 for questions?

15 Minutes is a bit short I think. Experience from the years ago shows that 30 to 45 minutes is a decent time for a talk, actually 15 Minutes talks are considered "lightning talks" at conferences (also at fosdem: http://www.fosdem.org/2010/call_for_lightningtalks ) and usually speakers have a hard time to make their points within those 15 minutes. I think your proposals would make good 30 to 45 minutes talks (discussion time included). And People usually didn't drop out of talks (they only did so if the presenter was unexperienced and took to long to catch the peoples attention - like it happened to me).

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620

regards,

        Lars