Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Michael Thaler
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:21:29 +0200

Hi,

> Because it has professional look and feel. I don't like any theme for Qt
> or GTK+.

Sorry, I don't buy that a professional look has to be gray and dull.
For Qt/KDE there is a CDE theme. But I doubt that many people use it.

> Finally maybe you want Leopard look of GNUstep applications as default?

Having a MacBook with Snow Leopard, yes I would love to have a Linux desktop
looking as elegant and polished as Snow Leopard.

> WindowMaker is window manager, it's not DE. People tend to use desktop
> environment.

I know. But how many people use WindowMaker with KDE or Gnome?

> What are they interested in? Let me guess: Qt(KDE) or GTK(GNOME)?

My former institute used KDE as desktop. But people usually worked with
Mathematica or MatLab. If we did coding it was mostly low-level numerical stuff
in Fortran, C or C++. I doubt that it is a good idea to target researchers
with gnustep. What advantage would gnustep give them?

> So we need MacOS style GUI, right?

In my personal opinion it would be nice to have a MacOS X style GUI. But I
know this is a matter of taste and not everyone things that the MacOS X GUI is
great.

> Another day Apple discards GCC in favor of LLVM. We need to quickly adopt
> this
> change after Apple? That's why GNUstep in it's current state today.

Well, for me llvm and having a garbage collector and blocks would make gnustep
much more interesting.

> And I see no problem using Opera or Firefox. That is the problem I'm trying
> to attract attention: GNUstep developers always ready to start
> mega-projects
> but only few individuals trying to make GNUstep finished.

There is no problem using Opera or Firefox with gnustep, except they do not
integrate well. But what is acutally the point of using gnustep/etoile as a
desktep and then using Opera or Firefox? And what about an office suite? a good
mail client (well, I don't know how good Mail.app is).

My personal plan is to port an open source application from MacOS X to gnustep
because I think without applications noone will use gnustep. Unfortunately I
am currently quite busy at work, so that I don't have much time.

Greetings,
Michael