Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Lucas Holt
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:28:18 -0400

That's not a reason to change the default theme. It's a reason to try to develop at least one good alternative theme. You should not be proposing a change which will provoke argument when the alternative would achieve the same in a relatively non-contentious way/ If/when a genuinely better theme can be produced, people will WANT to adopt it as the default. The objective should be to develop a good theme (or multiple good themes).

Also, document (in an easy to find place) how to select alternatives. The website should show similar screenshots with each theme so one can decide what to use. A section for package maintainers with things to tweak (such as the theme) on the website would be nice too. While it's nice to have a consistent look and feel, different OS projects have different goals. Some might target end users who like a little eye candy or "modern" look. I would argue Ubuntu falls into that category and I know we'll probably have to do that in MidnightBSD at some point.

Luke