Re: framework

From: Isaac Gouy
Subject: Re: framework
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 27, 6:41 am, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2009, at 11:24, Michael Thaler wrote:
>
> > Objective C is not in the list but I doubt that Objective C would be
> > much faster then Java if you actually use Objective C and not just a
> > plain C subset. And Scala also runs on the JVM and is also quite
> > fast and it is a very nice, modern language which is not clumsy at
> > all.
>
> If you can find an older version of that page, Objective-C used to be
> there with an average score of 1.6 (about the same as Java now) for
> speed, and much lower memory usage than Java.  The implementations all
> used pure message passing - no C functions, no IMP caching.

Note - these AMD Sempron measurements are 2 years out of date  and
aren't based on the same programs or hardware or language
implementations or workload as the current measurements.

Look at the boxplot overlap - don't fixate on the median value.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all&d=data&gpp=on&objc=on&java=on&calc=calculate&box=1

As for the "average score" whatever that's worth -

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all&d=data