Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:21:16 +0100

Is it not going about compiler possibilities to optimize the code using hyper threading? OpenMP is a specification trying to get a standard for such things, I hope, I have it not totally misunderstood.

Is ObjC compiler just an extension to the common GNU C compiler (100% compatible) or it is a standalone realization which can also compile C code.

Yes, the ObjC compiler normally used by GNUstep users *is* the standard GCC. GCC can compile Objective-C as well as C. :-)

GNU gcc (4.3.2) has already an option and you can compile with - fopenmp .

My question was: Does ObjC compiler handle also the same feature or it does not?

Yes, it handles exactly the same features. The ObjC compiler is GCC and so handles exactly the same options. When GCC runs in "Objective- C mode" it just recognizes the Objective-C specific syntax in addition to all the normal C stuff. Any C code that it finds will be compiled exactly like when it runs in "C mode". :-)

Thanks