Re: [ANN] Update for SimpleWebKit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [ANN] Update for SimpleWebKit
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 00:03:52 +0200

Hi Nikolaus,

hns@computer.org wrote:
Hi all,
I have committed the latest additions to SimpleWebKit. Major changes
are

* added loading of CSS (sub)resources from <link rel="stylesheet">
* added parsing of CSS (including @media, @import etc.)
* added a CSS Browser view to SWK-Browser (to compare Apple WebKit to
SWK)
* fixed some minor bugs in the XML parser and in the WebResource
loader (which could have lead to problems in non-CSS areas)

Well, since this is (as usual) work in progress, you won't see much
change because there is still one missing link: going through the CSS
tree when rendering HTML tags and applying the attributes.

There is one known bug in the loader: if you @import from a different
URL-scheme, nothing is imported. And, there are some minor syntax
parts missing in the style declarations (e.g. [attr~=value]).

This all will be worked on in the next steps to give a much better
experience (e.g. google.com is now broken without CSS).

I just gave it a try on GNUstep. The good news that nothing is more broken that it was before, that everything builds fine and runs as it did before, the testpages I use continue to work. This means that the internals improved without showing any weaknesses in gnustep and without breaking the existing.

Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy any of the new benefits, but we need to debug that more, since you asserted that certain stuff worked on the mac (like forms+search) and it still doesn't on gnustep.

Anyway, good news.

Riccardo