Re: Compiling GNUstep base on OSX 10.5.7

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Compiling GNUstep base on OSX 10.5.7
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:49:28 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

objc[53471]: Class NSStream is implemented in both
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/ CoreFoundation
and /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.dylib.1.19.
Using implementation from
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.dylib.1.19.
make_services(53471) malloc: *** mmap(size=4246773760) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
/bin/sh: line 1: 53471 Bus error               ././obj/make_services

GNUstep will not work on any OSX past 10.3. The linker tends to pull in the Apple libraries which conflict with the GNUstep ones.

To make this statement more precise, GNUstep *does* work on OS X 10.4 and later, too, but it will not work out of the box with the dependencies built from MacPorts (and I guess from fink either). The problem is not the Apple linker per se, but rather that many of our dependencies nowadays depend directly or indirectly on CoreFoundation on OS X and, unfortunately, CoreFoundation started to depend on Apple's libobjc in 10.4.

To successfully build and run GNUstep on Mac OS X 10.4 and later, you need (at least) to configure aspell with --disable-nls (the nonls variant of aspell should do for MacPorts). Next, you need a freetype configured with --without-old-mac-fonts (unfortunately no help from MacPorts here and the freetype shipped with Mac OS X 10.5 will not work either). Apart from that, configure GNUstep-base with --disable- tls and GNUstep-back with --disable-glx and use either the libart (the default) or xlib backend. Eventually, I may have forgotten some other libraries in this list, but you will notice that when looking at the crash report being produced in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. Look for a line containing /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib.

Hope this helps
Wolfgang