Software Index (was ANN: GShisen 1.3.0)

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Software Index (was ANN: GShisen 1.3.0)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:17:16 -0500

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:03 AM, hns@computer.org <hns@computer.org> wrote:
If done correctly, they don't interfere. And, I have not seen any
package management system of any Linux distro that provides more than
some basic packages like Base, GUI, Gorm. But I may be wrong.

I guess this is where I was going with it.  Most people will not want to install GNUstep from source, or even binaries, instead will just use their own PM.  I'm hoping we can keep packages in the repositories more updated than they currently are... I'm guilty here, haven't updated the Slackware stuff in a while (hoping 13.0 will be out sometime this month).

Well, it is a collaborative tool - it is not intelligent by itself. It
is not a robot or something.
There is a simple "Click here to fix it!" link in SWI. So, please if
you find a newer version of anything, please add.

You can do it as user as well as author.

I think we probably need to do a better job of advertising it.  I would guess most users of GNUstep based apps, and even some developers, do not know this index even exists.  The link in the "Applications" menu in the GNUstep website seems to be widely overlooked.  Or am I way off base here and everyone already know it's there?

Hm. I am not sure if this easily fits into the concept. It is not just
a simple list of apps showing the latest version of each one and
throwing away the older ones. It is designed as a newsticker / feed
where you see all messages sorted by date. If someone makes small
incremental comments, you will see several to the same topic.

I also think that it is a matter of traffic. The archetype it tries to
follow is www.versiontracker.com which has the same effect - but
approx. 30 new entries per day so that you simply don't see the older
ones.

I think this was brought up a while ago, and now that you mentioned this I remember.  I'm good with this, I had just forgotten we went through it already.

Stefan