Re: Confusion of software index, software application wiki and gap datab

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Confusion of software index, software application wiki and gap database
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:09:00 +0200

Am 10.05.2009 um 10:12 schrieb Zhang Weiwu:

hns wrote:
That reminds me what the GNUstep Software Index is showing as content
(in a different layout).

  http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/

Maybe, it should be more part of the GAP Web Page?

If it would help, we could add a database checkbox "GAP" so that it
shows only the GAP projects.

There are 3 places where I can find description of a project.

 1. http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/
 2. http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications
 3. GAP maintain introduction of their projects (some GAP projects
    seems to be not listed on GAP frontpage yet)

If I want to help update description of a software package (especially if it is part of GAP), where should I update? Should I submit patch to GAP webmaster, and then go to wiki page for 2nd update, and software index to fill an update form?

IMHO there should only be two locations, but currently we have all three.

GNUstep SWI is thought to be a "master index" of all software - completely independent who is hosting it. It is also thought to be a communication tool (newsticker) where developers can post "I have a new version, please go here and there for more information".

And, of course, each project should have a project page somewhere that describes the details and is maintained by the developer(s).

The point 2 is somewhat historical when it was thought that a master index on a Wiki Page is easier to be maintained. Maybe, the users and community should decide how to continue between 1 & 2. I.e. from a user's perspective: which "master index" is easier to use and in which one is it easier to locate something.

GAP falls into the "developer maintained" category (as many other projects do). GAP does not collect ALL applications that are available for GNUstep so it is not a master index.

So if you contribute to GAP, please also post an update on the SWI. If you contribute to Etoile, please as well. The same for other projects and applications that are neither GAP nor SWI.

I hope this clarifies a little.

BR,
Nikolaus