is the bad performance because of backend and how could I change backend

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: is the bad performance because of backend and how could I change backend?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 01:26:37 +0800

Hello

I managed to get back to use debian-repository version of gnustep
instead of compiling my own version, and suffer greatly from several
problems:

   1. drag and drop almost never works. It freezes the application where
      drag-drop occur for some time, and sometimes totally freeze the
      application
   2. middle click paste doesn't always work.
   3. clicking a window behind another doesn't bring the window to the
      top, sometimes (30%);
   4. double click to application icon doesn't always bring its window
      to the front.
   5. the UI being slow

I suspect these things are widget backend related. I could be totally
wrong thanks to being a total newbie, but I sense it that way. I tried
to replace default arts backend to cairo, which gets worse result by
placing text at wrong positions. There are only two backends provided by
debian repository.

My question is is it possible to just compile one backend with xlibs
myself and configure debian official gnustep to use that backend?

I guess if I can compile my own backend I should be able to configure
gnustep to use it by
defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-xlib

Although I can successfully compile and install the backend, and
configure GNUStep to use that backend, I could not run application with
the backend.

loongson@cruella:~$ Terminal
2009-05-03 01:22:41.377 Terminal[8424] Did not find correct version of backend,
falling back to std.
2009-05-03 01:22:41.396 Terminal[8424] NSApplication.m:285  Assertion failed in
initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to find backend libgnustep-xlib
已放弃

It seems gnustep isn't aware of the existence of the backend, not even
if I moved libgnustep-xlib-0.16.bundle from
/usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Bundles to /usr/lib/GNUstep/Bundles.

What would you suggest me to do in this case?

Note that my computer is a bit special, a tightly integrated computer
with mips CPU. I cannot replace or add display card or opengl just for
cairo.

Thanks a lot in advance!