XML-style plists with the [NSDictionary writeToFile:]

From: Мелешкин Валерий
Subject: XML-style plists with the [NSDictionary writeToFile:]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:57:14 +0400

I want to write plists in XML-style with the [NSDictionary
writeToFile...]. After some googling I wrote the test app:

        #include <Foundation/Foundation.h>

        int main(int argc, char **argv)
        {
                NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [NSAutoreleasePool new];

                NSLog( @"%i, %i\n",
                                [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
boolForKey: @"GSMacOSXCompatible"],
@"NSWriteOldStylePropertyLists"] );

                [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] setObject: @"YES" forKey:
@"GSMacOSXCompatible"];
                [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] setObject: @"NO" forKey:
@"NSWriteOldStylePropertyLists"];

                NSLog( @"%i, %i\n",
                                [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
boolForKey: @"GSMacOSXCompatible"],
                                [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
boolForKey:
@"NSWriteOldStylePropertyLists"] );

                NSDictionary *dict = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:
@"opts.plist"];
                NSLog(@"%@\n", dict);
                [dict writeToFile: @"./opts.out.plist" atomically: YES];

                [pool release];

                return 0;
        }

The contents of "opts.plist" are:

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
        <plist version="1.0">
        <dict>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>John Doe</string>
                <key>Phones</key>
                <array>
                        <string>408-974-0000</string>
                        <string>503-333-5555</string>
                </array>
        </dict>
        </plist>

To my surprise, just after execution of app "opts.out.plist" looks like this:

        {
                Name = "John Doe";
                Phones = (
                "408-974-0000",