Re: newbies would have a lot of questions with gnustep environment

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: newbies would have a lot of questions with gnustep environment
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:28:32 -0500

I'll answer the ones I know.

2009/4/19 张�|武 <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
Hello. I just started to try GNUStep as an ordinary usre and my head is
suddenly full of questions that doesn't seems to be obviously available on
the Internet or manual.

* How can I hide the .dot files in open document dialgue?
Install SystemPreferences and check all the options there, there'll be one for hide dot files.

* GWorkspace have a  dock (default on center-right) similiar to wmaker's
(default on lower-left), are they duplicating functions? Do I need only one
of them and disable another?
Yes, you only need one of them.  I generally use the GWorkspace dock but it isn't as functional.

* Both GWorkspace and wmaker seems to wish to manage sessions (one has
"logout" and the other has "Exit Session" in the menu, you have to quit both
to logout), who really should be responsible for session management?
Either.  I use GWorkspace as the session manager, but you could use WM.  Just start WM with "&" and then GWorkspace if you want to manager using GW, or you can use WM's settings to start GW automatically.

* sometimes application menu (on the upper-left cornor) overlap each other,
is it intentional? e.g. in my case aclock menu float above maximized Firefox
makes me not possible to click the minimize button on upper-left corner of
the window.
Yeah, that's just one of those things you need to get used to.  I'm not sure if it's GNUstep's fault of WM's fault... in my opinion it should be treated as a task bar, but it's not.

* I am interested in NoteBook.app but it is not in the Debian repository,
how can I compile from source? (Makefile or ./configure doesn't exist.)
Just run "make install" as root.

* remote X11 connection seems slow using GNUStep applications, does it talk
to X Server more than those made using other widgets (gtk or qt)? If so, is
video hardware performance a key factor for display of GNUStep applications?
I'm hoping Riccardo or one of the Etoile guys (can't remember which one) will chime in to answer this question since they're the ones that run remote X.

* the GWorkspace user's guide recommend launching application using file
viewer by entering "System/Applications", which doesn't exist on my Debian.
How can I start an application using GUI? Currently I start everything from
Terminal.
I can't remember where Debian puts all the apps, but check the /usr/lib/GNUstep/ directory.

* how can I start non-GNUStep applications, like GIMP? They seems not have a
shortcut in "System/Applications" when I read the Gworkspace manual;
I think there's a wrapper package in Debian, but I might be wrong.  If not, download the GWorkspace sources and check in there, it comes with some wrappers for most packages.  Obviously this is not a problem if you're using the WM dock and desktop.

* how do you usually doc shortcut to applications? I too easily used up all
space on left & right edge because of the big icons. There seems just no
space for everything like shortcuts (docked icon perhaps), dock of
GWorkspace, menus, window list (on lower-left edjge) and applets (like
aclock) when I added just as half as much things I added to gnome;
There's always WindowMaker's clip and GWorkspace's Fiend (check Tools menu).  WM's clip works way better.

* how do you use "minimize" and "hide" for efficiency? When do you want to
hide and when do you want to minimize
It's really up to you.  I usually minimize whenever the app only has 1 - 2 windows and hide whenever it has  3+.

* there are only a few people on freenode.net #gnustep, where do people
usually talk about it?
I very rarely show up at #gnustep and only check mailing list.  I would guess between those two you're pretty set.

Final one question: I don't know how to start all these questions instead of
just throwing them all at once to the list. Is there a book or tutorial that
focus on addressing most issue for newbie?
When I first started using GNUstep I raided the website.  Check the "User Guides" section, it takes you to the wiki, which if you find something wrong can be easily updated.  If you need a wiki account just register and send an e-mail with you user name to webmasters@gnustep.org.

Good luck!  I've been using GNUstep (strickly as a user since I'm not a developer) for a few years now and think it's great, hope you like it, too.  Like I mentioned before, you if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send an e-mail out to the list.

ALSO:  Take a look at Etoile, it's a desktop environment based on GNUstep... these guys are doing some great work: www.etoileos.org

Stefan