Re: GSWImageButton and a updated example for GSWeb

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GSWImageButton and a updated example for GSWeb
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 00:01:33 +0200

Hello Fred,

Am Sonntag, den 05.04.2009, 23:41 +0200 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
> David Ayers wrote:
> > What would people think if we extract the internal image handling of
> > NSBitmapImageRep+<image-type> into GNUstep specific classes/functions in
> > base-additions to make it available for both -gui and -gsweb?
>
> Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. This would introduce dependencies
> on base that otherwise aren't needed. Why not use gui in gsweb to do
> that job? I know that you wont use any other features of gui, but so
> does base with regard to a jpeg library.

Linking -gui into GSWeb is not an option... far too heavy, many
categories I need to checkout.  I'd much rather duplicate the code for
jpg/png/gif wrappers then and add support for other formats as the need
arises.

I see many uses for command line tools and/or servers webservices to
manipulate images, sounds and/or video.  I simply do not believe any of
the basic wrappers belong into -gui/AppKit, but that the class
organization we inherit... oh well.

Yet I have sympathy with the reluctance to add new dependencies to
-base.  I'll duplicate the code... maybe I can reduce the duplication
since GSWeb will probably only need a subset.

Cheers,
David