Re: NSZoneMallocAtomic disappeared from NSZone.h in -trunk

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSZoneMallocAtomic disappeared from NSZone.h in -trunk
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:49:27 +0000

On 24 Mar 2009, at 06:30, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

sope doesn't compile anymore with gnustep-base trunk. When I take a look at the code in sope, how it is using NSZoneMallocAtomic there I see, it is using NSZoneMallocAtomic everywhere but for NeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY I guess, it may also be available on Mac OS X, but I've no possibility to check that out, at
least googling NSZoneMallocAtomic only finds references to gnustep and
libFoundation.

I'm writing here, because of my research now, I'm not perfectly sure whether
it was removed intentionally or accidently.

The atomic malloc zone is a libFoundation/GNUstep specific extension. It is not, and has never been in Cocoa.

It was removed intentionally ... I had no idea any code outside GNUstep core used it, as the old GC code never worked fully for me, but I received no bug reports from anyone else! Presumably the sope code would simply work if you replaced it with the default malloc zone.