Re: GNUStep and Cocoa Distributed Objects compatibility

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUStep and Cocoa Distributed Objects compatibility
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:12:39 +0000

On 22 Mar 2009, at 10:23, Piotr Isajew wrote:

Hello

I would like to use Distributed Objects to communicate through the network between Objective C GNU Step application (let's say running on Linux) and it's Mac OS X counterpart). Does anybody have any experience using DO in such configuration? Is GNUStep's DO implementation compatible with Cocoa's one?

No, the two implementations are not binary compatible, and making them compatible would be quite a big job (though it's certainly not impossible ... as we have a binary compatible implementation of keyed coding for NIBs already, and Nikolaus Schaler has written a binary compatible version of NSSocketPort for mySTEP which GNUstep could use ... so a project to implement binary compatible DO would need to re-implement NSConnection and NSPortCoder to use those).

Currently, for IPC between GNUstep and Cocoa I'd recommend using XMLRPC. The GNUstep webservices library provides (as a tiny part of its functionality) an XMLRPC coder and invocation methods, and this library can be built/used either with gnustep-make (for gnustep) or with xcode (for cocoa).