Core dumps broken with libffi?

From: Larry Campbell
Subject: Core dumps broken with libffi?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:33:01 -0500

I recently switched from gnustep-base 1.30.0 and ffcall to gnustep- base 1.18.0 and libffi. Everything seems to work OK, except that when a program dumps core in the new environment, gdb is unable to display anything useful (like a stack trace) from the core dump; the errors vary, but here's one example:

gdb> bt
#0  0x40b3cc30 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
Cannot access memory at address 0xbf3ff8d8
gdb>

This on x86 linux 2.4, with both gdb 6.4.90 and 6.6. If I run the program under gdb and it aborts, everything is fine; it's just core dumps that are broken.

Has anyone else run into this?

- lc