Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Dev-Room

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Dev-Room
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:15:54 +0000

On 16 Feb 2009, at 14:18, hns@computer.org wrote:

Interesting idea to extend it to a GNUstep meeting (to discuss e.g.
Obj-C 2.0).

That would be good. Clang already supports a subset of properties on the GNU runtime (not a large or useful subset, unfortunately), and supports fast enumeration (with GNUstep trunk this now works with NS[Mutable]Array and NSEnumerator). Exception support is next on my list (I think we can steal 90% of the code from the Mac implementation and just tweak a few small bits, but I want to factor it out into general code rather than just copy-and-paste) and then I want to look at properties and GC.

The only point is how to get there easily.
Is there a good (and cheap) train connection from Gatwick or Heathrow?

There is a train from the centre of London to the centre of Swansea. If you come via the tunnel it's not a bad option. If you book far enough in advance, this can be very cheap, and you just need to get a tube into London from the airport first. There is also a bus[1] that runs every hour from Gatwick, via Heathrow, and terminates at Swansea.

I usually take the bus, since it's typically cheaper, and doesn't involve taking a tube into the centre of London. It stops at the central bus station in Swansea and there are buses from there to the university every ten minutes. Alternatively, it's about half an hour's walk along the sea front, which is nice if the weather is good.

Or is it easier to reach through Dublin + Ferry?

The ferry takes about 10 hours, so I wouldn't recommend it.

David

[1] http://nationalexpress.com/