Re: Building on OSX

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Building on OSX
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:30:57 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:01 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

>>> DOH! If don't work, then I don't need this. Obviosly, the idea is share
>>> code between
>>> my Windows <-> OSX machines.
>>
>> It is possible to get up a working GNUstep system on OS X, but doing this
>> is non-trivial. The issue on OS X is that we have two conflicting Objective
>> C runtimes, the GNUstep one and the Apple one. Having both linked with your
>> program almost instantly leads to a crash. Unfortunately, since OS X 10.4
>> Apple's CoreFoundation library uses Apple's Objective C runtime and a lot of
>> open source projects nowadays make use of Apple specific features on OS X,
>> which (directly or indirectly) use CoreFoundation.
>
> The easiest way of running GNUstep on OS X at the moment is in a VM.  Since
> GNUstep and Cocoa implement the same APIs, there isn't much interest in
> making sure GNUstep runs well on OS X - unless you are doing any deep
> hacking with the runtime the code will be the same on both.

actually in my opinion the easiest thing to do is just use the
libraries provided by
apple on apple and GNUstep on windows and linux, this is the approach was
 used to compile GDL2 by a few people on OS X.  for gdl2 In addition
to apples libraries,
you need the gnustep-make package, and the gnustep-base-additions library
(which gets created from the gnustep-base sources) and i'm aware of at
least one person had
this working on 10.5 in the past.