Re: Impelmenting NSWindows95InterfaceStyle

From: SPUeNTRUP - Kai Henningsen
Subject: Re: Impelmenting NSWindows95InterfaceStyle
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:44:38 +0100

Am Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:00:22 +0000
schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk>:

> On 19 Jan 2009, at 23:10, David Chisnall wrote:
>
> > On 19 Jan 2009, at 20:52, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> >
> >> The normal solution to that is to disallow shrinking of the
> >> windowto be smaller than the menu, but another is to allow
> >> scrolling of the menu inside the window so that you can get to
> >> everything.  I don't know what mswindows does, but obviously for
> >> mswindows style menus we should do the same thing.
> >
> > As I recall, MS Windows simple makes the menu items to the right
> > inaccessible by default.  IE4 (I think, might have been Office 97)
> > implemented a modified form where shrinking the window beyond the
> > menu width adds an extra menu item with an arrow character on it
> > which has all of the hidden menus as submenus of it.  This is
> > probably the best behaviour to copy since GNUstep apps won't always
> > be designed to have windows as wide as their horizontal menu.
>
> That sounds like a good approach to me.

Actually, a short test on a Win2000 VM I have here showed that Notepad,
when you make the window "too narrow", simply wraps the menu bar into
multiple lines.

As to MDI apps, the concept seems to be mostly dead; MDI apps seem
increasingly rare these days.

The basic concept on Windows is that your app displays several
documents, and the menu is shown in every main document window, but not
in any auxiliary windows. Alternatively, sometimes an app has one main
window with the menu, and all other windows will be without (for
example, the Delphi IDE is this way).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Münster /
with kind regards - Kai Henningsen

--