Re: OpenGL sample code on Linux

From: Thomas Gamper
Subject: Re: OpenGL sample code on Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:55:16 +0100

Hi!

I think the NSOpenGLContext/XGGLContext breakage is my fault. I'll look into it.

TOM

Clemens Arth schrieb:

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Clemens Arth wrote:
I've tried to implement the OpenGL example in Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa
Programming book (chapter 33) in gnustep. Unfortunately I couldn't get
it to work - the window doesn't show anything.

Can someone provide me with a small simple OpenGL example in gnustep? I
couldn't find anything useful googling...

An example for OpenGL usage with GNUstep can be found in the myGL
project in the gui samples (devmodules/usr-apps/examples/gui/MyGL).

But I just tested that and it seems to be broken. Most likely the whole
OpenGL code in GNUstep has bit rotted. This may be due to the changed
visual selection in GNUstep, we now try to get the best possible visual.
Somebody with a little bit more OpenGL knowledge should look into this.
The only thing I can suggest to verify this suspicion is hack into
bestContext() in back/Source/x11/context.m

Fred

PS: Just tried the gnustep-gears example and it has the same problem.
Hi Fred,

thanks for your hints. I downloaded the gnustep-gears from

http://amstradstuff.free.fr/GNUstep/

and compiled it. On startup, the view is simply a white field. Starting the demo it looked a bit strange first, but this might be due to some bad initialization of the width/height of the view. As soon as I resize the entire window (and thus reshape the view), the demo works perfectly well (at least on my configuration, running Ubuntu 8.10 and the default gnustep packages). I will test it on an other machine this afternoon with the latest stable releases, because I think the contents of the current Ubuntu repositories are a little outdated (e.g. Gorm 1.2.2 vs. 1.2.8).

Anyway, thanks - I'll have a closer look at the gnustep-gears

Clemens