Re: libobjc issue

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: libobjc issue
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:32:28 +0100

Hi all,

You seem to have libobjc only build statically on machine B, you will
need a dynamically version of that library for GNUstep (at least in the
standard setup). Just rebuild this library and things should be fine.
(There is an updated version of the code in the GNUstep repository, but
the one delivered with gcc might do)

I think the key observation is that only static libraries are built.
This almost certainly means that you used different options for 'configure' with gcc on the two different machines. You need to do a configure with '--enable-shared' to get the shared library built.\

Richard, thanks!! This indeed was the key. I always built gcc 3.x with

../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls --disable-libgcj --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++,objc

so it seems I never had libgcc_s.so built and all the GNustep stuff was statically linked. I rebuild everything with --enable-shared an now it works!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas