Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:00:11 +0000

On 19 Dec 2008, at 07:32, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 18 Dec 2008, at 19:58, Nicola Pero wrote:

Let me know if there is any agreement on other pieces of software to include. Maybe we should include everything that is in the GNUstep subversion repository ? I was hoping for a smaller
list, but at least that would provide an objective way to decide.

I'm not in favor of this really for any packages ... I'd like not to have support for this cluttering anything.
Admittedly the clutter is really trivial, but I see no benefit to it.

Sorry ... too short.

What I suggest is:
1. Unwind any changes to any packages to do with this ... intrusive changes to packages merely to support a installation location makes little sense. 2. Produce a different mechanism if you really want a mechanism for this at all.

For instance, you could have a file listing the projects you want to install in the system domain, and gnustep-make could consult that file to decide where to install each project ... eg. if it's got to install a project X, it ooks up X in it's config file, and if it should you in domain Y then it sets GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN to Y before proceeding. This would avoid the issue of having to decide which projects are 'core' (which is not something the developer/maintainer of the project should be doing).