Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app

From: Krishna
Subject: Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:52:18 +0530

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Jesse Ross <gnustep@jesseross.com> wrote:
> Fred, Riccardo, Adam and I have been working on Windows lately and it's now
> more stable than ever.   A good windows theme might help, but actually some
> of the color schemes we already have work very well indeed.
>
> I agree that allowing for native-appearing GNUstep apps under Windows is a
> great idea... but I don't think that's doable in the context of a theme.
> Theming support is essential for GNUstep (obviously), but with Windows, I
> think we need to really be using native widgets. There are just so many ways
> that a Windows machine can be customized visually, that a theme will almost
> always feel out of place (not to mention what we make that GNUstep theme
> look like: XP or Vista or... something else). I have no idea how this would
> be done technically, but it's most certainly the best way to give the feel
> of a truly native application.
> That, or we throw away native conventions entirely and go the iTunes/Safari
> on Windows route.

Win32 API provides routines for drawing native looking controls.
AFAIK, GTK+ uses them to obtain near native look. I have no idea how
to wire it for GNUstep though.

Cheers,
-Krishna

--
Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?