Re: ANN: BatMon 0.3

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: ANN: BatMon 0.3
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 06:27:58 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2008, at 22:48, Riccardo wrote:
>
> > I don't like the idea of depending on DBus. All this power  checking
> > has too many layers, indirections and uncertainity already. Now
> > Linux has also /sys filesystem and I bet I will end needing to
> > support it alongside of /proc.
>
> Linux completely fails at the one task an OS is meant to be good at -
> abstracting the hardware from developers.  I had huge problems getting
> this code to work correctly on Linux, where 2.4 Vs 2.6 kernels, x86 Vs
> PowerPC, Monday Vs Tuesday, etc. all gave different format plain text
> files that needed to be parsed.  There's now a library containing
> several thousand lines of code available to do on Linux something that
> is about a dozen lines of code on any of the BSD family.
Oh, I remember, when porting the linux-ha stuff to OpenBSD, I #ifdef the ~30
lines of pam authentication, with using 2 lines BSD auth ;)

> > OpenBSD is interesting though, I don't have it running on a Laptop,
> > so I can't check and I refrain from blind-developing. But if you
> > know of somebody who has OpenBSD on a laptop (yourself?) I will
> > collaborate egaerly to support another system.
>
> I don't have OpenBSD on a laptop, but the code is trivial - just read
> the relevant sysctls.  I tested it on my colocated Mac Mini, which
> runs OpenBSD.  You can find the code here:
I run OpenBSD on my libretto, and I already made a note to myself, to test
BatMon on it next time.

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/etoile/trunk/Etoile/Frameworks/SystemConfig/Source/SCPower_OpenBSD.m?rev=2509&view=auto

> If you have any problems understanding it, check the relevant man page
> - unlike Linux, OpenBSD actually comes with useful documentation.
Yeah, one of the reasons I like OpenBSD.

cheers
Sebastian