Re: Simpler Garbage Collection

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Simpler Garbage Collection
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:00:24 +0200

On 06.07.2008, at 20:40, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 6 Jul 2008, at 19:03, Helge Hess wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure whats wrong with the BoehmGC implementation. Its fast and efficient, it works very well, and it can be easily made interoperable with RC (if thats really required).
Well, it looks to me like the easiest way to get something broadly compatible with Apple's implementation. I think we need the capability to zero weak references when the memory referenced is GC'd though ... not sure if that's easily achieved with Boehm.

In libFoundation you would watch the object for finalization, check

  + (void)registerForFinalizationObserver:(id)observer
    selector:(SEL)selector
    object:(id)object

for the implementation. Its 'relatively' expensive though.

Don't know what additional features todays Boehm GC has.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess