Re: Simpler Garbage Collection

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Simpler Garbage Collection
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 09:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

> My general thoughts are that while these suggestions are interesting
> and worthwhile, they don't address the main issues for GNUstep:
> 1. Apple compatibility
> 2. Ease of use ... for the inexperinced programmer to be able to
> ignore the issue of memory management in most cases.
>
> The alteration of autorelease pool you suggest obviously goes some way
> towards solving the second issue ... do you have ideas about the first?

I agree with Richard and would see the following requirements from an
application programmer's view (and someone who wants to use GNUstep to
port Mac software to Linux and Windows):

a) old (or new) code with correct retain/copy/release must simply
continue to work if used with GC (Apple makes them AFAIK simply NOOPs
in GC mode)
b) if and only if source code is written with Apple GC in mind (i.e.
without using retain/copy/release), it must work on our GC scheme
(even if it is differently implemented)

I don't have thought deeply enough to see at the moment which of the
proposals fits into these requirements but I guess the alloc
modification approach violates both.

Nikolaus