Re: disappearing panels

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: disappearing panels
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:20:57 -0400

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:18:14 +0000 (GMT), Marko Riedel <markoriedelde@yahoo.de>
said:

> Hi folks, I am developing a GNUstep application that will have to run
> under KDE. I have no choice in the matter, as it's been decided for
> me. ;-)

> I have a problem with Gorm.app and in fact, all other applications
> I've tried (not only my own) that only display panels on
> start-up. This is with KDE 3.5.

> When I lauch Gorm with openapp, the icon appears on the desktop but
> none of the panels. I cannot make them appear permanently on the
> desktop. When I double-click on the icon, they appear briefly, then
> disappear. The only way I can actually get to Gorm's panels is to
> display the application's main menu by clicking on the icon and force
> an open dialog. That makes the menu and the main panels appear
> permanently.

> I have not changed the KDE configuration in any way. Is there some
> simple trick to get around this problem?

I believe this is due to KDE's "focus stealing prevention".  You can
turn it off (or turn it down) by right clicking on the title bar of any
window, and click on "Configure Window Behavior".  Then, in the window
that comes up, click on "Advanced", and change the value for "Focus
Stealing Prevention Level" to a lower level.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get around KDE's focus stealing
prevention.  But focus stealing prevention seems to be deep magic, so I
need to figure out some cleverer magic.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)