Re: gnustep make and linking applications to extensions

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: gnustep make and linking applications to extensions
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:35:34 +0200

Hi all,

does anyone know a gnustep example application that builds under MacOS with gnustep make and that correctly sets up the necessary plist files (or whatever has to be done) to link file extensions to application so that a doubleclick on a document file in Finder automatically lauches the corresponding application?

I have written an app that should act as an editor for *.project files. The linkage works under MacOSX 10.2 and GNUstep but not on Leopard. Any idea?

I have found the following file in the application wrapper

        pico /Applications/InterfaceBuilder.app/Contents/Info.plist

{
  NOTE = "Automatically generated, do not edit!";
  NSExecutable = "InterfaceBuilder";
  NSMainNibFile = "";
  GSMainMarkupFile = "";
  CFBundleIconFile = "InterfaceBuilder.icns";
  NSPrincipalClass = "NSApplication";
}

I modified that as follows

{
  NOTE = "Automatically generated, do not edit!";
  NSExecutable = "InterfaceBuilder";
  NSMainNibFile = "";
  GSMainMarkupFile = "";
  CFBundleIconFile = "InterfaceBuilder.icns";
  NSPrincipalClass = "NSApplication";
  NSRole = "Editor";
  NSTypes = (
    {
      NSUnixExtensions = ( "smib" );
      NSIcon = "nibfile.tiff";
    }
   );
}

and Finder.app immediately had the connection between smib files and InterfaceBuilder.app. Great!

Not great! This worked only after manually binding this one *.smib file to /Applications/InterfaceBuilder.app using the Inspector Pane of Finder.app. Trying to set the binding for all files with this extension produced an undefined error message. I am still at the beginning. What can I do to establish this binding with gnustep make or any hacked file in the Contents folder of the application wrapper on Leopard?

Is anybody (except me) actually using gnustep make on MacOSX 10.5? Hints are still very welcome!

Thanks,

  Andreas