Re: They don't know GNUstep

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: They don't know GNUstep
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:19:17 -0700 (PDT)

On 3 Jun., 03:22, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
helld...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Funny:
>
> <http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/174096756/m/
> 770008752931?r=401009752931#401009752931>
>
> "We need a reimplementation of cocoa on top of GNU/linux, D-BUS, and
> QT or something."
>
> regards,
>
>         Lars

Well, there is a response:

"
  quote:
  If Apple's marketing keeps rolling in converts as fast as we do, we
may have to have a binary compat layer for osx apps on linux..

  We need a reimplementation of cocoa on top of GNU/linux, D-BUS, and
QT or something.

There's GNUStep, but of course, it doesn't support nearly everything.
And who's "we"? Are you a Linux kernel contributor?"

I think most of the people on that discussion list come from Windows
and they are now happy to switch and are curious to learn what Cocoa
is. So they have not much experience in Open Source and the Next/Apple/
GNUstep worlds.

My impression during LinuxTag was that GNUstep is known in the Linux
ecosystem but people do not know the latest status and have a lot of
early experiences which were not so good. And if you explain, they are
astonished and willing to look at the most recent status. I will write
some comments/summary if I find time but please be partient with me.

Nikolaus